Thursday, February 10, 2011

Homemade Yogurt

Homemade Yogurt with granola and red walnuts
Good yogurt is a weakness of mine. In Italy, I would polish off quart-size containers every 2 days or so, eating it in quantities no one could be proud of.
The tang and thickness was unlike any yogurt I'd tasted before and would prove to be one of the things I would miss most from the boot-shaped country.
I'd heard the homemade variety came close but for whatever reason never attempted it. When I happened upon the cookbook The Home Creamery at the library, I took it as a sign to try my hand at homemade yogurt.
Everything must be sterilized to avoid bad bacteria
Constantly stirring the milk as it heats
Sterilization is a key first step whenever living cultures and bacteria is present. Yogurt is no exception. 
I made my first yogurt using organic cow's milk and the cultures from a sampling of store-bought organic yogurt, an acceptable substitution if you are unable to find yogurt starter. I have since found an amazing cheese-making supply source that carries yogurt starter. Added bonus is it's minutes away from the winery DH works out of.
Yogurt, right; homemade buttermilk, left
The results of the yogurt were mixed. DH loved the thin, tangy consistency but I was not satisfied. Next time around I will use the yogurt starter and try organic goat milk instead.
To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment