Friday, January 28, 2011

Tool Lending Library

Tool Lending Library, South Berkeley Branch
Shortly after discovering the date that would spawn this blog, I noticed a sign adjacent to the Berkeley Library that read 'Tool Lending Library'. Clearly it was connected to the library but the skeptic in me questioned this Utopian notion of being able to rent a tool at no charge with nothing more than a library card. I had to inquire further...
In fact, in Berkeley and in Oakland, one is able to rent any myriad of tools at no charge with nothing more than a Berkeley or Oakland library card (and proof of residency). 
ladders galore!
every tool you ever wanted...
The selection is extensive and includes tools of all kinds; gardening tools, power tools, ladders, dollies, even bike tools! Also handy are how-to books and DVD's available for whatever task you are undertaking. I decided I'd try it out and rented a cordless drill and a 20 piece drill bit set. 
I was all set to go when it occurred to me I was on bike and would now have to coordinate bike riding home one-handed with the drill case in tow!  
A power tool is one thing I never imagined operating, let alone renting from my local library. And as for riding a bike, let's just say I never thought I'd learn, let alone ride with confidence (more on that in an upcoming post). Apparently 2011 is shaping up to be a year of big change. First with the bike, now with a cordless drill...what's next?
cordless drill and drill bit set

utility holder, up close

utility holder. first use of a drill!

No comments:

Post a Comment